Music Banter - View Single Post - Favourite Live Albums
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2017, 07:09 AM   #36 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

^ Inspired by your selection of Viva, I've been trawling for live Roxy material. That 2003 double album you mention, (live from The Apollo) seems pretty good, partly because the set list is a Greatest Hits list too, and partly because the performances are just impeccable. Perhaps too much so; as a reviewer at Prog Archives points out, there aren't many surprises as RM recreate familiar material from their past. I ended up cherry-picking the few tracks he recommends as having something extra or new, like While my Heart Is Beating, and My Only Love . For the rest, I took Psy-Fi's advice and downloaded a session they did for John Peel in their heyday, plus for good measure, their performance on a German live-in-the-tv-studio program called Musikladen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy-Fi View Post

Pink Floyd - KQED: TV Studios
^ This one caught my eye, Psy-Fi, as Atom Heart Mother is my favourite Floyd album. If only you'd posted this link 30 years ago, I would've been so excited to hear it! It is (so far) excellent and includes a track I don't recognise, about butterflies, spines and rhymes. However, it does rather focus on their laid-back material and ultimately reminds me that I'm beyond the point of being excited by anything from PF any more.

One thing I like about live albums is that they provide a chance for performers to pull together disparate material from various albums and turn them into a cohesive artistic statement. If you don't mind waiting 2 mins while the band gets going, Beefheart did this well at Sargent's Gym, tying together Blunderland, Big Joan and Abba Zabba among others. Not an album afaik, it at times slides into a chaotic, Les-Rallizes-Denudes-style noisefest; whether that is the band's intention or the poor recording quality, I can't say.