Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #727 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: The Eternal Reign
Artist: Born of Osiris
Genre: Progressive Metalcore/Deathcore
Nationality: American
Release date: February 24
Position in Discography: Fifth EP; ninth overall
Fear Factor: High
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 3.24
Not quite sure to make of this. Technically, I probably should have passed on it, as it's a re-recording of an EP released in 2007, and typically I'm only doing new albums here, not reissues, but given that Batty would have called me a pussy or something for avoiding it, and since he's been whining about there being so few metal releases on this list, I thought I'd give it a go. Musically, it's pretty damn fine; these guys know what they're about, but the vocals, for me, again, let the album and the band down. They're not unintelligible or anything, but I just feel the music is well crafted and I can see where the progressive part of their genre tag comes in, and the vocals just don't mesh with what I'm hearing musically. But it is overall pretty good. The second last track contains an unexpected and very beautiful piano outro, with the closer opening on an almost ambient piece on I assume some sort of synthesiser. Weird but really effective. Think I like this.

Check out more from this artist? Possibly
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Maybe

Expectation Index: 8