Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2017, 11:08 AM   #739 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: The Roc
Artist: Daniel Herskedal
Genre: Jazz
Nationality: Norwegian
Release date: February 24
Position in Discography: Third
Fear Factor: High
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 3.34
On first glance, a jazz album by someone whose specialty is the tuba doesn't sound like it is going to win any favours from me, but I must admit it's pretty good from the off. The tuba seems to be less front and centre than I had expected, and mostly this runs on a nice piano line with accompaniment from the tuba. The latter certainly comes into its own though on “Eternal Sunshine Creates a Desert” (or is it trumpet? Some horn anyway, very nice) and I'm surprised that I'm enjoying this a lot more than I had expected. There are some nice Middle Eastern tones to this, such as on “Hijaz Train Station” and “There are Three Things You Cannot Hide: Love, Smoke and a Man On a Camel”. Indeed. In terms of what I think of as jazz, or rather, what I'm used to, considering how little I've heard, the meandering “The Krøderen Line” is the closest this album comes to achieving that, and it's mostly driven on piano with viola, maybe (I see one mentioned) with some lovely smoky horn work on it too. Can't say there's anything on this I don't like.

Check out more from this artist? Yes
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Expectation Index: 10