Music Banter - View Single Post - Micshazam's album and song picks
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 02:20 AM   #48 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Nice to see someone else on MB enthusing about Joan Baez, MicShazam!
That Diamonds and Rust track you posted is one of many great songs that she wrote - especially interesting because of the Dylan connection. But perhaps my favourite JB song is her version of the traditional The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.
So far, I've mostly heard her 60's material, but the later Diamonds and Rust album shows some stylistic shifts, so I'm curious to see how her later material (later than the other CD's I have, that is) will sound, how much variety there is, etc. Not that the early record can't be varied. The album that got me into Baez, Vol. 5, had a song that sounded almost operatic. So far, her albums have been very easy for me to like. I could see how her pretty in-your-face singing voice might grate on some people's ears . Favorite track so far, Diamonds & Rust for sure, but I've still got quite a lot more than ½ a discography to go...

Quote:
It's interesting to see all your music files, MicShazam. You are more strictly organized than I am; a key word in all my file titles is "etc." because I keep throwing similar artists in with each other...
A long time ago, I tried sorting by genre, but that's just impossible. I rip whole albums from my shelves and simply put them in an artist folder. Only soundtracks ruin this system a bit.

Quote:
Anyway, I thought I might take you up on your offer and ask for your opinion on Coco Rosie and Simple Red. For both artists, I've heard an intriguing track or two but don't know much else about them. Any specific recs?
I'm not too deep into either, especially not Simply Red since I got the one album I have less than a month ago.
EDIT: Forgot to say that so far, I think the album that I have (Stars) seems pretty good, although the title track is by far the one I like the most so far. I also know they have a track called Fairground that I like. It's on a more recent album.
I also checked out the bands first three albums at some point and two of them had this really cool 80's production style to them, mixed with a 70's soul music style. I liked that combination and it seems the bands early output is easily the most vivid and potent. They do get a bit too glossy and adult conteporary by the mid 90's.

When it comes to CocoRosie, I've heard two albums. The Adventures of Ghosthorse & Stillborn is quite critically acclaimed and clearly the more idiosyncratic and unique of the two, with it's hip-hop flavorings coloring their indie pop, sound-manipulated style of music. Personally, I didn't like it so much though. I connected way more with the album Grey Oceans, even though it's arguably a bunch of Björk and Kate Bush worship. One of these two women even has a singing voice that's quite like that of Björk at times. So I basically liked the less unique album more, I guess because I felt like the songs were, in the end, more evocative.

Quote:
Also, as you areclearly an admirer of the female voice, I thought you might like Juanna Molina from Argentina if you haven't heard her already:-
I will definitely listen to a couple of her albums on Spotify. I must have bumped into her before, because I really recognize a couple or three of the album covers. A quick skim on Spotify seems to suggest she makes some pretty varied, pretty interesting sounding music, so I'm going to dive in for sure. At a glance, som of it reminds me slightly of a sort of mix of Lydia Ainsworth, Islaja and Jenny Hval.

Last edited by MicShazam; 10-30-2017 at 07:22 AM.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote