Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 04:12 PM   #786 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post

Album title: Flying Microtonal Banana
Artist: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
Genre: Psych Rock/Acid Rock/progressive Rock
Nationality: Australian
Release date: February 24
Position in Discography: Ninth
Fear Factor: Moderate
Familiar with this artist? No but I have heard of them
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 3.54
Interesting stuff. I'm no fan of, nor expert in, psychedelic rock, but this sounds pretty all right. The first track uses the title as its only lyric, yet it's compelling and not a little hypnotic. The rhythms are certainly engaging and seductive in a way. Gets a little wearing after a while though; much of it seems to be the same, though “Billabong Valley” and “Anoxia” change things up a little. I like “Doom City”, it definitely has something. Yeah this is all right but not really something I'd be too much into. Maybe you need to be high? Dunno. Don't see it though.

Check out more from this artist? I'll have to, as they have four other albums scheduled for release this year
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? As above

Expectation Index: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo View Post
King Gizzard is a great band to dive into because if you find yourself going "I like this but it could be perfect if they did a few things different" then just keep listening because they probably did the thing you want. I love the different vibes they put out with each release.
I recommended them to Lisnaholic about a year ago. Glad they are getting more exposure. They deserve more than a 6/10 imo.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote