Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 08:28 AM   #1818 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

A Friendly Word of Caution for those considering Ubuntu 17.10

I recently found myself missing the superior Gnome desktop environment while stuck with Unity in Ubuntu 16.04. That was the core motivator for me to make the switch to 17.10 which finally implemented Gnome as the standard environment.

Mine was not a smooth transition. Rebooting after the upgrade, I lost support for both keyboard and mouse. Booting to a live USB I ran into additional troubles with a known bug where obsolete packages from the existing system cannot be removed. Cutting my losses, I performed a fresh install and began rebuilding my applications from scratch.

There were numerous hiccups - issues with Java compatibility for my server, (resolved by rolling back to v8), and some third party applications have no support as of yet for 17.10. The only major unresolved issue at present is FreeFileSync. I've not yet found a comparable disk synchronization alternative for Linux and the application interface is a bit garbled in 17.10.

A word of caution for anyone considering making the jump - know what you're getting in to. And unless you desperately need a particular function only available in the new distro, you might be better off waiting another round.

But if you have given it a shot, I'd love to hear your results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote