Music Banter - View Single Post - Micshazam's album and song picks
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 08:32 AM   #50 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
I also know Joan Baez's early stuff better than the later. Actually, the album I know best is Farewell, Angelina from 1965. It's a good mix of traditional and Dylan songs, with the backing nice and simple so that her voice rings out clear as a bell. I wouldn't call her voice in-your-face, tbh. I'd say she sounds like an angel, or Eve, the day before she bit the apple and got thrown out of Eden, but that's just my opinion.
I personally think her voice is simply beautiful and I like her singing style, but I know that some people don't like her sort of approach and would describe her voice as "warbly" and "sharp". Those people are wrong, of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
...Lydia Ainsworth, Islaja and Jenny Hval....all new names to me, Micshazam! Where are you finding these people?!
All sorts of places. Random chance discoveries at the local used records store (I sometimes take photos of interesting albums and google them later), plus several websites I check from time to time. The editor's choice and featured new album releases sections on Allmusic.com are excellent sources for quality music across pretty much all genres. I also occasionally borrow issues of the world & folk music magazine Froots at the local library. Oh, and I musn't forget how much I've gotten out of Ted Gioia's "best albums of [insert year]" lists: The 100 Best Albums of 2016

Last edited by MicShazam; 10-31-2017 at 08:47 AM.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote