Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 01:11 PM   #804 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: The Iceberg
Artist: Oddisee
Genre: Hip-Hop
Nationality: American
Release date: February 24
Position in Discography: Eleventh
Fear Factor: High
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 3.31
I suppose that's the price I pay for getting one – one! - prog rock album a month: two hip-hops in a row. Well, I pretty much hated Nav's effort, will this be a two-for? It's certainly more upbeat and in-your-face than Nav, but at least there's energy in it, and almost a disco/soul-style boppiness. He also doesn't, so far, shout expletives in my face like the other guy did, nor go on about the size of his dick. Again I say, so far: we're only two tracks in. But no complaints at the moment. Really like the brass on “Built by Pictures”, though I assume it's probably synthesised. Good song, some great bass in it too. Oh, okay: I see there is a trombonist in there, so maybe it's real after all. Something about this makes me think of Stevie Wonder. Am I insane? Well, that's a question for another day I guess.

Definitely no problems with this so far. Like the music arrangements, like the rapping, like the different subjects he's singing about, like the flow of the album too. Percussion is great in “NNGE”, also the backing vocals; could do without the whooping though. Nevertheless, I definitely enjoy this kind of hip-hop much more than the one in the previous album. Mixtape. Whatever. This is solid.

Check out more from this artist? Might very well do
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Expectation Index: 9