Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2017, 07:42 AM   #817 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Why Love Now
Artist: Pissed Jeans
Genre: Hardcore Punk/Noise Rock
Nationality: American
Release date: February 24
Position in Discography: Fifth
Fear Factor: Critical
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 2.94
Ah yes, just the sort of thing I like! When Wiki describes this band as "loud, heavy, noisy punk rock” (that's actually a quote from the band themselves) you know this is about as much up my alley as a Marillion triple boxset would be up Frownland's. Still, if punk has one saving grace for me, it's that it almost invariably turns out short albums with short songs. This one clocks in at a mere half-hour, so at least it won't take long to get through. Well, might as well push play: this album ain't gonna hate itself! Slower than I expected on the first track, certainly, and for the second too: definitely less frenetic and mad than I thought I'd be hearing. Almost metal in some cases. A whole lot more accessible and not nearly as raucous as I had feared. Not like those bloody Priests. And this guy can actually sing. There are some pretty bitchin' grinding riffs here; whoever's playing the guitar really knows what he's doing.

“I'm a Man” is pretty hilarious really, and yeah, it does get a little more frantic towards the tail-end of the album. I wouldn't be a fan by any means, but this was not the dreadfest I had been anticipating.

Check out more from this artist? Unlikely
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Probably will have to

Expectation Index: 4