Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 01:21 AM   #838 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post

Album title: Forget
Artist: Xiu Xiu
Genre: Experimental Rock/Art Rock
Nationality: American
Release date: February 24
Position in Discography: Tenth
Fear Factor: Moderate
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 3.38
Started off with a fast rap that made it seem like it was going to be a hip-hop album (and likely one I wouldn't enjoy) but then quickly turned into some sort of electronic synthpop/new wave weirdness which I actually like a lot more. The singer certainly reminds me of Bowie, though that's probably an affectation. I'm not quite sure yet what makes this experimental though? I suppose “Get Up” is a little weirder than the tracks that have preceded it, though not all that much if I'm honest. Not Frownland level experimental. Frownland will now drop in to tell me I don't have a clue what experimental music is, and I should stick to my sappy prog and AOR. Here he comes....

“Hey Choco Bananas” is pretty weird, but I kind of don't really like it. Yeah, I'm just bored now. I won't bail, as there are only like three tracks to go, but I'm just waiting for it to end without expecting anything I'm going to like before it does. I wasn't wrong. Album is well named. I will, now that it's over.

Check out more from this artist? Nah
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Meh

Expectation Index: 0
They're aight. Have you heard Xiu Xiu plays the music of Twin Peaks? That's a stronger record that you might dig more.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote