Music Banter - View Single Post - Paedantic Basterd Listens to the Past
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 07:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man like Monkey View Post
Because as you get older your taste either matures or changes, you hear more music, find new artists, other stuff appeals or you can relate to new things cos of life experiences and you realise the stuff you used to like wasn't actually that good. Or it was juvenile and a bit cringe worthy and appealed to you because you were a child yourself. I used to think some Backstreet Boys tunes were amazing but that's probably cos I had only heard about fifty songs.

imo of course
Not for me though. I've got into newer and different artists, sure, but I never look back and say "Oh I hate that one now". I mean, if you eat beef when you're young and then discover, maybe caviar, I don't know, do you stop eating beef and laugh at yourself for ever having done so? If you watch Cary Grant movies and later get into Fellini, do you stop watching Cary Grant movies? I don't understand what makes the music you used to listen to suddenly have no value when you're older, unless as I say you never actually liked it in the first place, only listened to it because it was all you knew, or to fit in cos everyone else liked it. None of those apply to me. Go through my album collection and pick out any album and I bet I can say I still listen to, or at least still rate, that artist. Yes, even Barry Manilow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man like Monkey View Post
The above post was my response to this btw:

Not me trying to explain the reasons for this thread.
I think that was understood.