Music Banter - View Single Post - The Evolution of Your Search for Music
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default The Evolution of Your Search for Music

What are you: a child of the internet, who's used to being able to download everything they want (usually for free) or someone who grew up buying records? If the latter, have you jumped on the bandwagon of the former?

My search for music began thus (some dates may have been guessed at to protect the terminally short of memory)

Early 1970s - Listened to music coming from my elder sister's room, occasionally told what she was listening to. Listened to the radio.

Late 1970s - Purchased my own ghetto blaster. Taped stuff off the radio, bought a few albums on tape, swapped a few with mates or schoolfriends. Got into listening to Radio Luxembourg at night.

Early 1980s - Working now, so able to buy my first stereo, and thus my first real albums (vinyl). Swapped with mates. Kind of stopped listening to the radio; MT USA (precursor to MTV here) started; heard music I had not heard before. Also bought my first Walkman portable cassette players. Bought lots of second-hand albums; trip into the city every weekend to come back with a bagful.

Late 1980s - Internet arrived. Audiogalaxy and Napster made it possible to download songs for free! Still bought albums, though now mostly on CD as I tried to replace my vinyl collection inasmuch as I could.

Early 1990s - Bought my first minidisc. Continued to use the internet as a source for music through the abovementioned until they were closed down. Continued to buy albums (CDs) in shops every so often.

Late 1990s - Bought albums less and less as music became more available on the internet.

Since then - Buy all/most of my music online now. Used to download but then ISPs through govt cut off access to torrenting sites. Got a subscription to Spotify, discovered YouTube. Never spent a penny at itunes - hate Apple with a passion.