Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #893 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Last Place
Artist: Grandaddy
Genre: Indie Rock
Nationality: American
Release date: March 3
Position in Discography: Fifth
Fear Factor: Low
Familiar with this artist? Ony through Janszoon's championing of them
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? Not really no
Average RYM Score: 3.29
I remember our Jansz going on a few years back about how good these guys were, but I never got a chance to check them out. This is, apparently, their “comeback” album, after reuniting following their breakup in 2006, so I guess the pressure's on to be something special, not having had an album out in eleven years now. Well the opener certainly appeals to me; love the rich, textured sound here and it's very upbeat and friendly, which I guess is odd considering this is an album about the lead singer's divorce. Not quite Face Value, then! “The Boat is in the Barn” is a great song, very powerful and sad. Then they ramp it up completely with “Chek Injin” which rocks along like a good thing. A very good thing.

These guys seem to have the talent to create really excellent songs that they somehow shove into three minutes or less, and there's really nothing wasted. Nothing overstays its welcome, nothing sounds forced, and I guess you could say these songs may have been building up for some time, just waiting to be released. Kind of odd little sounds on “Jed the 4th”, but there's really nothing here I don't love. Excellent album. Nice one, Jansz!

Check out more from this artist? Yes
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Expectation Index: 0