Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #902 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Gleisdreeck
Artist: Joy Denalane
Genre: R&B/PR&B
Nationality: German
Release date: March 3
Position in Discography: Fourth
Fear Factor: Moderate
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 2.50
After a spoken intro in German we're introduced to the singing voice of South African-born German vocalist Joy Denalane, and it's very soulful indeed. Certainly not throwaway pop; more mature, elements of adult contemporary in there I would think, also a nice mix of soul and some soft jazz, however here's the problem. It isn't keeping my attention. I don't think it's a bad album, by any means, but it's not speaking to me, and I don't mean because I can't understand the language. All right, she just brought in a child's voice and now I'm done. But goddamit, the next track is a nice slow bluesy type ballad, so **** it, I'll hang on for now. Next track is great too, until some rapper (I assume) gets in on the act. Overall, I'd have to say a pretty meh album, but at least I lasted to the end, and that's no mean feat, with eighteen tracks on it. It gets better near the end, but by then I really don't care and have already posted my review.

Check out more from this artist? No, I would not be interested at all
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yeah

Expectation Index: 0