Music Banter - View Single Post - Album Reviews Index - Post Links To Your Reviews Here!
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 06:53 AM   #348 (permalink)
AstaHugo
Groupie

Default Alexandria Adrian borland 1989

1989 No 6
Alexandria Adrian Borland & The Citizens
So my number 6 in the best of 1989 is Alexandria by Adrian Borland & The Citizens. Some of you may
recall Adrian Borland as the main protagonist in The Sound. The sound emerged at the end of the 70’s
and got a recording contract in 1980. Although swallowed up by the U2 hype, many view The Sound
as a highly underrated band in main due to the talent of their songwriter, singer and guitarist Adrian Borland.

Check out their catolgue there’s some great music there. After the demise of The Sound Borland went to Holland and Alexandria
followed as his first solo project. The music is more melodic, less aggressive and gave Borland
the opportunity to experiment with different sounds - however his songs remained very dark and emotionally
heart wrenching. Adrian tragically committed suicide in 1999 after a long fight with depression.
So onto Alexandria - as ever choosing 4 favourite tracks sucks but here goes. After a bright beginning the second offering
‘Rogue Beauty’ which has nice string arrangements over acoustic guitars - it’s a song about romantic illusion
it reminds me a little of Forveer Changes the classic 1967 album by Love. Violins and brass appear on a number of tracks
which adds style and depth to the sound. However it’s Borland’s emotionally charged singing and lyrics
that stay with you. my 2nd offering is ‘other Side of The world’- it starts off dark ala The Sound and then
a flute echoes from yonder and could be a song from the soundtrack to a sergio leone western. The harmonica
bleeds out over the Prairie - Adrian’s desire to escape to somewhere new - the track also has strong links
with Mike Scott’s Waterboys. My third choice is ‘Shadow of Your Grace’ described by another critic as ‘World Beat’

The guitars jangle as the rhythm is established and we get a tatse of saxophone as the music builds through piano
and a glimpse of harmonica - it’s a wonderful song and yes it has a shuffle like beat. My final choice is the finale
‘Deep deep Blue’ - the mood is bleak but with a twist of optimism. In summery Borland was an artist
with huge talent who deserved success but he left us a body of work that impacts you as a listener of alt rock
as it is often labelled.
AstaHugo is offline   Reply With Quote