Music Banter - View Single Post - The Grumpy Old Man Thread (or, Why Today Sucks)
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #89 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
It's got nothing to do with any film. My point is that you can't hold a machine liable for mass murder. Batty maintains you can. I also don't give a ****, but his reading of it was so, to use your own word, retarded, that I thought I should explain it to him. I've given enough examples of why it's wrong, and am no longer interested in debating such a stupid thing anyway. If he wants to continue thinking as he does, fair play to him. I suppose I should never have kicked all this off by asking that question, but I was curious. That'll show me I guess.
I maintain that George Lucas wrote R2D2 as a character and not a mindless automaton. Your overthinking of the matter is illogical, not logical, because we're talking about George goddamn Lucas, who pays as much attention to science as he feels like whenever the hell he feels like. There's even an in universe explanation, even though it's from the EU and therefore not canon, but that is clearly in-line with the implications made in the movies: that droids are legally required to have their memories wiped periodically or else they can eventually obtain sentience, and R2 and 3PO have gone decades without memories wipes.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote