Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Movimento" by Madredeus
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

I can't really remember if the one who picked an album is supposed to review it or not, but here's some thoughts.

The album is long, that is true. 77 minutes and 16 seconds spread across 16 tracks, all roughly in the same style. I do often hear people bring up complaints about album length when talking about music, so it seems this is a pet peeve for many people. I've heard quite many people say that 40-45 minutes is ideal. To me, it doesn't really matter so much. I've got the option to skip or create a playlist. Or, as I often do with long albums - I can cut the album in two and focus on one half at a time. Many long albums could have been spread across two discs instead of one, and then perhaps fewer people would mind 70 minute albums. It is fairly rare that a record label allows bands to do so, since two CD's cost more to produce than one, obviously - but the sales price for one album remains the same.

Would this album benefit from being on 2 discs instead of 1? Sure, but any time I don't feel like taking in all 77 minutes, I'll just cut it in half. I treat long albums like a book. Put in a bookmark when you need a break, then continue later. No problem.

Now, I've mentioned before that this band is very important to me, and they are. Top 10 material, easily. The first album of theirs that I heard - O Paraiso - took less than two songs to blow my mind. It opened up a whole world for me. Since then, I've been getting into the related genre of fado in a big way, plus various other sorts of international folk music. It really does not happen often that the discovery of an artist expands your musical horizons that much, but Madredeus did for me.

This album is maybe not the easiest front-to-back listen in their discography, but like with movies and books, I don't expect an album to necessarily be breezy, fun and easy to appreciate. This album takes some patience for me. A bit of work. But I really, really appreciate the nuances of all of these arrangements when I do have the mental energy and patience to give it my full attention. I do not agree that the tracks all sound the same. They only do so if you don't really pay attention. I'm not saying this is music as complex and layered as old classical music, but it isn't exactly instant gratification either. I guess I don't mind an album asking me to sit down, shut up and pay attention.

Teresa Salgueiro has a wonderful voice with a lot of character to it. I've even got three of her solo albums, on top of the 10+ Madredeus albums I've got. I like this stuff, and I like it a lot.

Biggest highlights on this particular album:

Anseio (Fuga Apressada)
Ecos Na Catedral
Afinal - A Minha Cançao
O Labirinto Parado
O Olhar
A Quimera
A Capa Negra (Mano a Mano)
Palpitação
Tarde, Por Favor

8/10 - On one hand it has some of my favorite Madredeus songs, on the other hand, they have more consistent albums. Comparing it to the rest of their discography, it's a solid 8. I don't regret choosing it for the club over the other albums. That opening salvo of 5 amazing tracks in a row makes it the right choice.

Last edited by MicShazam; 11-12-2017 at 05:31 PM.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote