Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #977 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Garcia Live Volume Eight
Artist: Jerry Garcia Band
Genre: Rock/Blues
Nationality: American
Release date: March 10
Position in Discography: Twenty-Fourth
Fear Factor: Low
Familiar with this artist? Who hasn't heard of the Dead?
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? Not that much no
Average RYM Score: 3.93
Jerry Garcia, eh? That's yer man from the Grateful Dead, yes? Yes. He's passed on, but these are apparently recordings made of his band's live performances, this one covering from 1986 to 1993, and features cover versions of some rock standards as well as original material. Let's go then: I've never heard a Dead record so this may be interesting. Okay, well the first cover I know is Clapton's “Lay Down Sally”, which happens to be one of my favourites from him. It's a great album, but unfortunately, being (obviously) live gives scope for songs to be really, really, really stretched out, and even the aforementioned comes in at almost nine minutes. It's a bit draining when every other song is in the double figures nearly. I mean, “Shining Star” is thirteen minutes long, while “That Lucky Old Sun” is over twelve. Good stuff though, if a little of a slog to get through. Not that the long songs aren't worth listening to, they totally are. Just, I would have got through about two or three other albums in the time it's taken me to listen to this one. As someone once observed rather tartly, I'm a busy man. Absolutely time not wasted though.

Check out more from this artist? Possibly
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Probably

Expectation Index: 0