Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Try and Love" by Ofege
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Nigerian afro-funk is entirely new to me, and I dug what I heard from the first note onward.

The percussion and rhythm have a noticeably looser feel than the tight hot-on-the-one funk I’m used to from the Meters, the JBs, and others, but the coolly laid-back psychedelia works fantastically well on this record. It is chilled out and in no hurry, which is a quality I really enjoy in ambient dub music, so I was pleased to find it working so effectively here as well.

There’s a similarly loose and relaxed quality in both the vocals and in the production style. There’s no rock star pretension here, and it’s a credit to the band’s authenticity. This debut was released in 1973 and predates the loudness war by decades. That’s quite a relief because the casual nature of the vocalist and the natural-sounding production alike make the record measurably more accessible and "real" than something tainted by flashy showmanship or overproduction.

Try and Love is a wonderfully satisfying album for either active or passive listening. The uptempo and downtempo numbers flow fluidly into one another and it’s an impressively cohesive album. It’s a great weekend spin and bears an honesty that is sorely lacking in many contemporary recordings.

It’s records like these that really make The Album Club worthwhile for me. I wouldn't have likely stumbled upon this cut on my own. Cheers!

8/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote