Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2017, 09:42 AM   #20511 (permalink)
Paedantic Basterd
Music Addict

Re: Alien

I hadn't actually SEEN it until last year, and going into it on the airplane, I figured pop culture had spoiled most of it for me. I knew about the chestburster, I knew about the xenomorph.

I was not prepared for the face-hugger. Easily the worst / greatest creation in the entire film. So glad that it doesn't get talked about enough or it would've been ruined for me too. That thing is absolute nightmare fuel.

EDIT: I also want to add that Alien touched on something REALLY important in horror movies, which is to NEVER show too much of the monster. The instant you can see the thing well-lit, you can see the charade. Alien tried to only show you flashes of the Xenomorph and was better for it, because your imagination did the rest of the work. James Cameron's (spits) Aliens shows you far too much of the creatures and offers you no new horrors. You get sensitized to them. Speaking of "you should never show us too much of the monster or things enter Hokeytown":

And the last thing I watched was It. $2 well spent, but I don't think I need to see it twice. Superb child acting, though.

Last edited by Paedantic Basterd; 11-19-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote