Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Comprehensive Guide to Iron Maiden
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #74 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Track title: “The Nomad”
Album: Brave New World
Year: 2000
Written by: Dave Murray/Steve Harris
Subject: A nomad, duh
Type: Epic rocker/cruncher
Length: 9:06
Familiar? Very
Rating: 10/10
It may be cliche, but I love the Eastern flavour the guitars get for this tale of a desert wanderer who may be more than he seems. The main guitar riff is to die for, and the chorus just the icing on the cake. But the best part of the song is the instrumental section that runs for almost three minutes, and then just when you think, well it's ending on an instrumental now, back comes the vocal for the big finish. Superb. Of course, another great thing about it, and the whole album, is that it features the long-awaited and needed return of Bruce Dickinson after an absence of ten years. Whether it was planned that he could come back to usher in the new millennium or not I don't know, but hell it worked out well! This album would be the first time Maiden would have three guitarists – and it would remain thus to the present day – and it really shows in the layers and layers of guitar you can hear, sweeping, clashing, intermeshing with and supporting one another. And let's not forget the amazing orchestral arrangement, a first I think for Maiden. Man, this song has it all!