Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 12:13 PM   #20546 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Well then, I guess we basically agree? Take movies like Hot Shots, for example. That kind of comedy almost never works for me. Johnny English, Naked Gun, Mel Brooks movies...

Then there's Adam Sandler type comedies. Usually a moment or two of melodrama, but they're about the jokes. Everything else is just a genre-skeleton to hang the jokes on. Lot's of comedies that aren't as bad as Adam Sandler movies still fall into this category.

Then you've got something like Annie Hall. Enough character development that it works dramatically, but it's still funny.

Coen movies are almost always funny to some extent, but they (mostly) also spend a lot of energy on working as a movie besides the jokes and quirky characters.

Given that the kind of all-out-"funny" comedy that I'm not too fond of is common and broadly liked, I don't think it's a given that they're usually not worth it to me.
So you hate mainstream American comedy, as you rightly should. Mel Brooks is lame as ****, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I just don't think it's fair to define the comedy film genre by its lowest points.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote