Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #1138 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Eternity, In Your Arms
Artist: Creeper
Genre: Horror Punk/Punk/Post-Hardcore
Nationality: English
Release date: March 24
Position in Discography: Debut
Fear Factor: High
Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 2.84
Apparently a concept based loosely on characters from J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan, this would be my first experience of Horror Punk, but it sounds more rocky – post-hardcore maybe, as some seem to have suggested? - than punk. It's certainly engaging and draws you in with its narrative about a paranormal investigator who has gone missing. The music is very very catchy, almost radio-friendly, with some fine hooks in songs like “Hiding With the Boys”, “Winona Forever” and the powerful acoustic “Misery”, while the piano sequence in “Down Below” is particularly effective.

If any of these tracks sounds like punk to me (or what I think of punk as) it's probably “Darling” and “Room 309”, the latter of which is a frantic, frenetic anthem, though it does slow down on some chunky guitar and ends on a superb acoustic with a duet vocal. The acoustic continues on into “Crickets”, which bears more than a passing resemblance to Bowie's “Five Years” and also wanders into country territory with some fine violin and a female vocal. Really excellent album, and a big big surprise to me.

Check out more from this artist? I will
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Probably

Expectation Index: 10