Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Exchange!
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 03:10 PM   #184 (permalink)
[MERIT]
Account Disabled

ARTIST: Misophone

ALBUM: Where Has It Gone, All the Beautiful Music of Our Grandparents? It Died With Them, That's Where It Went...

RELEASE DATE: June 14, 2007

TRACK LIST:
1) White Waves
2) Nothing Down There But Trees
3) Deluded And Obscene
4) You Can't Break A Broken Heart
5) It's Good To Be Alive
6) Song Thrush
7) Turning Hay In The Fields
8) Seaweed On The Rocks
9) The Sea Has Spoken
10) Petroleum Lampa
11) Don't Be Afraid
12) Tired Of Silly Dreams

SUGGESTED BY Pet_Sounds

White Waves
The opening of the album hearkened back to the Christmases of my youth. It had joy in its bones. I'm quite sure that's not what they were going for, but that opening track would be welcome at any Christmas celebration IMO.

Nothing Down There But Trees
The production value on this track is HORRENDOUS. I'm not sure if apartment-synth-folk-crap is what they were going for, but they nailed it.

Deluded And Obscene
I really enjoyed the "hacky, slacky, smacky" sound of this track. It kind of reminded me of some of Conor Oberst's work in BrightEyes. I really dig the hushed vocals.

You Can't Break A Broken Heart
Again, another Christmasy sounding song. Maybe it's just that time of that season LOL. They could have made the vocals a bit stronger. I liked it though. Very poignant.

It's Good To Be Alive
The album starts to grow some balls! Production value is lacking, but BALLS there be! Sounds like something you'd dance to at a gypsy party. I dig it. Mediterranean vibes.

Song Thrush
Short interlude. Nice for what it is. Very harmonic and ginger.

Turning Hay In The Fields
We start with something that sounds like it is out of a Polish Opera. I can picture some Cossacks line dancing to it. Sounds a little Yiddish.

Seaweed On The Rocks
This album is all over the place LOL. This is one long instrumental intro! More hushed vocals. I appreciate it for what it is.

The Sea Has Spoken
Some lovely violin music for the intro. This is a very dreamy song. It picks up with more melody! I can fuck with it. Aaaaand back to drab. But Icarus finds the light! The vocals commence. I picture a Persian truck driver playing this song in his cassette deck, gleefully. More hushed vocals, like they have a secret to tell us :O Back to drab and despair.

Petroleum Lampa
Music befitting a child's video game, progressing into a bit of hipster folk rock. I like it. It's enticing! Did they start speaking a different language?

Don't Be Afraid
Feeling like this album might have finally found its soul. Nope. It was a bait and switch. Carnival music? You can do better than that!

Tired Of Silly Dreams
Last track. Last chance to impress. Sounds like the last ride at the carnival. Aaaaand your time is up. Album, why you have to disappoint me so much???
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote