Music Banter - View Single Post - Alice Cooper or Marylin Manson
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 03:43 AM   #77 (permalink)
uncle salty
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
The people who were actually there at Alice Cooper shows as stoned kids in the ‘70s are still probably pretty cool. The people who maybe just heard him on the radio or at a party, yeah.
I saw Alice Cooper in Philly in the 70s, but I wasn't a burner, and I certainly wasn't cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post

We're talking about the impact of shock artists, which is inevitably tied to time period.
This is 100% accurate, not just about this topic, but for just about any comparison that spans generations. Ultimately, a person will choose their personal favorite, from their time, as what they think is best, or best represents the topic at hand. Maybe not 100% of the time, but mostly.

That being said, I voted for The Coop, (big surprise) but he was way more than just a shock rocker. His shows were full of shock value, but they weren't just gross-out fests. There was a real creepy/macabre/skin crawling essence to his shows.

His true genius in the genre, though, were his albums. The man was a master of just the right mix of a lyrics that were twisted, thought provoking and sometimes just plain tongue-in-cheek camp.

And something that gets overlooked a lot...his bands we freaking tight.

I don't know enough about ICP or Manson to comment on them being better, but I'm pretty sure those bands would probably give Alice Cooper a nod as some sort of influence.

As far as him losing any credibility by having his picture taken with golfing buddies, who the heck cares? The cat took up golf when he quit drinking.

As long as his buddies didn't show up on stage with him, I wouldn't care who he hangs out with.

What he does off stage is his business.

Last edited by uncle salty; 12-01-2017 at 04:11 AM.
uncle salty is offline   Reply With Quote