Music Banter - View Single Post - Stuff That Is Awesome
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #2296 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

Not sure if I've told this story here before (let's face it, my memory is fading fast).

Most of you know what happened to my company.

September 2014 - we were 36 employees, had a killer two story office building with a large engineering lab (including an anechoic chamber), 10 seat conference room with state of the art video-conferencing, a 7.1 fully decked out listening room with a projector, a massive wide screen and cinema recliners, lots of nice offices and bull-pens, a warehouse with pallets racks and a forklift, and a fully decked out kitchen.

BOOM!

Fast forward to late 2015. Our ten year lease on the office was going to run out on December 31st. We'd (I'd!) spent the entire year holding a massive fire sale to unload the ENTIRE building's worth of desks, chairs, white boards, paintings, lighting, printers, copiers, file cabinets, massive amounts of electronics including PCs and audio stuff, kitchen appliances, an anechoic chamber!?!?!?!, test equipment, office supplies, etc. etc. etc.

You can't even begin to imagine the insanity.

ANYHOO.......

A couple of days after Christmas the place is a ghost town. There was literally tumbleweeds rolling down the hallways.

About 8 of us decide to have one last hurrah at the OK Corral. Everyone brought booze, someone brought a plastic fold-up table and boom-box, there was a deck of cards and poker chips, just enough stuff leftover to improvise chairs, and the CEO bought pizza. We found out later that the COO brought a couple of fat doobs.

CEO, COO, a couple of VP's, and some engineers played Texas Hold-Em, smoked, drank, and flat out partied until about 4 AM. Cell phones had been ringing for hours with worried spouses wondering WTF!

The ULTIMATE "I love ya man" evening. Craziest part is that only two of us were still actually employees! The rest had been laid off months earlier.

TL;DR

Life sucks and then you die.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote