Music Banter - View Single Post - Qwertyy's Journal of Music Reviews and Other Assorted Ramblings
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #311 (permalink)
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard
OQB

MB Does Black Metal

I promised Mondo that I would review Noosefiller's debut like... a year ago. I never did it because I was busy and 'cus Frownland is a nonce but I figure it's about time I man up to my word. Not only that, but their 2nd album is actually on Spotify now, so it's easier than ever to check it out Free Promo Here.

I want to begin by saying this sounded nothing like anything else I've heard from either artists before. I've listened to quite a few of Mondo's projects, and a fair few tracks by Frownland, but nothing that I feel really connects with what this thing is. Sure, it's weird as all ****. But the dissonance and experimentation ends up leading into some very strange yet equally enjoyable territory. Noosefiller attempts to be to black metal almost what Mr. Bungle is to... music? There are some absolutely outrageous synths on this thing that cause the album to switch from industrial black metal to straight up carnival songs. One of the biggest take aways from this album is that after all these years we finally have confirmation that Frown does indeed know how to play a guitar. Aside from that whoever they recruited to handle vocal duties did a very solid job and the album is varied enough to keep me interested in what I was hearing throughout the entirety of the project. For the best track I would probably choose Dimension Swarm, as the seven minute track serves as a non-stop chaotic thrill ride that doesn't lose it's edge through too much experimentation like some other tracks do.

All in all while this album didn't exactly blow me away, it was definitely an interesting listen and I enjoyed it enough to want to hear their debut. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, but if you like weird avant-garde black metal then you might find this album to be worth giving a spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm not even mad. Seriously I'm not. You're a good dude, and I think and hope you'll become something good
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote