Music Banter - View Single Post - The Punk Education Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #241 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Right on, I was just curious because Death Grips is pretty metal-influenced for a hip hop group.

I think that hip hop tends to be repetitive in the similar way to minimalism where it's building off of an idea instead progressing to a new one. If you want interesting song structure, Shabazz Palaces is the be-all-end-all of hip hop in that aspect.

I'm going to need a while to digest this, but so far, it seems pretty promising. I certainly like a lot of what is going on musically and it seems like it moves forward more. You could argue that I'm stuck in a certain mindset, where I expect music to develop over time in a certain way, but I find this to be very hard for me to change. I managed to get myself to appreciate harsh vocals, music without a beat, atonal music, dissonance... but those were all things that felt objectionable to me in some way to begin with. It seems easier to learn to appreciate things that seems sort of repulsive at first, than it is to learn to like that which just seems downright boring. Repetition (mostly) just bores my tits off. Can't help it.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote