Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "I'll Sleep When You're Dead" by EL-P
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 11:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

I don't really know what to say about this album. After that hip hop album from last week, which I liked quite a bit, this one brings me right back to my mental default setting regarding this genre: "This music is repetitive and I'm bored."

There are some very cool little production details here and there, the occasional neat melody, beat or bassline. Most of the time, it's just not terribly interesting or grabbing and I feel like I should be riding a pimped up vehicle with my arm out the window while listening to this, which is to say that it falls way too close to the sort of mainstream hip hop feel that I really quite dislike. Not that this album is bad, but it had just about a snowball's chance in hell of being up my alley.

The rapping itself is probably the main culprit. I can't find any way in which this guy is different from mainstream rappers like Jay Z (whom I dislike), so it just confirms my assumption that if I can learn to somewhat appreciate the genre, then it will have to be through artists that stay very far away from this particular type of rapping. The rapping itself feels like stereotypical mainstream "gangsta"-rap, just with some above averagely creative beats. Apologies to anyone here who is into the genre and offended by that statement.

I voted "meh", because that perfectly describes how most of this listening experience felt to me.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote