Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 03:42 AM   #20690 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'll just say that after Beauty and the Beast that Aladdin introduced a more modern sensibility and humor with the performances of Robin Williams and Gilbert Gottfried that all subsequent Disney movies have tried to ape that have killed the timelessness of Disney. I love Aladdin and The Lion King, but Beauty and the Beast was really the last Disney movie that truly felt like a timeless story while still reaching the heights of the modern Disney story. It's wondrous and beautiful.

Seriously go rewatch Aladdin and tell me that the Genie still holds up the same as he did when you were a kid. As much nostalgia as I have for the Genie he was kind of the original sin for modern Disney.
I don't even have to rewatch it for that, since I remember Genie bothering me last time I watched it several years ago. I think I wanted the movie to feel more like a 1001 Nights fairytale, while genie is very... "modern" in his presentation, if you know what I mean. Not to mention pretty over the top. I remember being a big fan of Mulan many years ago. Probably way back when it came out, so around 1999 or so. Last time I watched it (10+ years ago), it didn't hold up as well, buck back then, I thought it was a real classic. Not sure what I would feel about it today.

Back then, I remember not liking Hercules all that much and that one where an Incan ruler is turned into a Llama or something... I just hated it. So Mulan was the last great one for me. But like I said, I don't know if I would think it is great now.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote