Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 05:36 AM   #1188 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: We Got Love
Artist: The Kelly Family
Genre: Pop/Rock/Folk
Nationality: Irish/American/European
Release date: March 24
Position in Discography: Fifteenth
Fear Factor: Critical
Familiar with this artist? Only experienced their Christmas album a few years back. Still in therapy about that!
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? Yeah
Average RYM Score: 1.76 (Holy ****, that's low!)
Oh dear God no. There's something terribly creepy about a family making music – yes, I include the Jacksons in that – but a multi-generational family? Oh no. I fear this may break me, but we'll see how I do. In fairness, the opening track isn't terrible, got a nice almost hard rock vibe. This is another comeback album, though this time there's only (!) thirteen years between the albums. You know, it's hard to find fault with a song called “Fell In Love With an Alien”, and it's pretty good too. “Angel” is cringe-inducing though, especially when the child starts singing. And I could certainly live without the 10,560th cover of “Stand By Me”. Sigh. The tweeness continues in “Good Neighbor” (remember Drew Holcomb?) and while the violins make it nice and Celtic, there's just something cliched about it. You think?

“Why Why Why” is the first time since the opener that the Kelly Family go into a rock mode, and it's a nice change after all the sugary-sweet sentimental nonsense I've had to suffer up to now. There's some good guitar work here, and decent group vocals too. I wouldn't call this a terrible album – I really don't think it deserves the dismally low RYM rating it has – but it wouldn't be the sort of thing I'd be interested in exploring further. Only for a certain type of music fan, I guess.

Check out more from this artist? No
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Expectation Index: 4