Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #14737 (permalink)
Nate Perry
Groupie

I´ve been trying to listen to some modern pop albums, but only very few contain good tracks. Ariana Grande´s Dangerous Woman was decent. She may not be the best composer/lyricist in the industry, but she has a voice powerful enough to level herself with Aretha, Whitney, and Mariah. The instrumentation on most tracks on the DW album was nice too.
Best track: Moonlight
A solid 6 out of 10

However, I was shocked when I listened Katy Perry´s One of the Boys record. Of all things, I never expected a KP album to be rock, maybe even indie-rock. Raspy voice, attitude and great instrumentation on behalf of Perry and the band. Enjoyed most of it, except the atrocious Hot n´Cold. Hate that song. She still has to work on her lyrics, most of them being very teenage-y, but maybe she was a teen when she recorded this, I don´t know.
Stand-out track was Lost, where Perry describes what I perceived as a sort of existential or religious crisis while living as a loner in L.A.
I´ve only listened to this one and her latest 2017 album and One of the Boys is definitely superior. When I´m done with further entries in my to-listen list, I may give her other stuff a chance.
Final score: 7.5 out of 10

I also listened to The Who´s Who´s Next for the millionth time. No further words needed, a sublime entry in their discography. Up there with Tommy and Quadrophenia.
10 out of 10
Nate Perry is offline   Reply With Quote