Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Classics: Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #46 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

This album makes me feel like I'm trapped in a smoky, stylish, very atmospheric elevator - but an elevator none the less. Let's be honest here: It's easy listening. Maybe it was something original and ground breaking at the time when the album first dropped, but like I've mentioned before elsewhere, I like to judge things in the here and now.

Kind of Blue is nice. It's soothing. Perfect for a relaxing hour with candlelight and cognac. It's also kind of dull. I really want music to be good for very active listening, but this album works best for me as some inoffensive background lighting.

At least I know enough about Davis that I know he's made more interesting albums than this, so I'm not rating his whole career the same as this album, which will get a modest 5/10 for me. On my scale, that's not terrible. It just means that I honestly only found it quite allright as a way to kill an hour. No way would I ever buy this album - and that's really the true test of whether an album crossed over from "allright, I guess" to "I like it".
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote