Music Banter - View Single Post - Exo's Top 50 Albums of 2017 Extravaganza
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #26 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits

Angles 9
Disappeared Behind the Sun

I start my list off with an album that caught me by surprise. This really should be higher on this list only because I really feel bad that this album is #50 but everything has it's place. The band comes from Sweden and features a metric f*ck ton of horns, bells, whistles, keys, and drums. When you have two saxaphones and two trumpets as staples to your line up you're going to end up with something that sounds like Frownland cloning himself and then taking college courses on how to play music for four years as a group. Five tracks make up the standard 45 minute run time and each track has kind of the same main objective which is to blow wind hard as sh*t. I'd love to see these guys live. They're rhythmic and can actually get pretty groovy at times. There is also plenty of sporadic wailing but they keep it tame and prevent it from unraveling the tone set throughout the album.

Highlights of the album are the driving Peacemaker and the title track Disappeared Behind the Sun which has this perfect blend of everything the album does well. You got piano, synchronized horn sections, free jazz spurts, and drum fills that don't try to overdo anything.

Check this out if you want to hear what Frownlands dreams probably sound like when he's not being miserable.

SUPREME POO BAH MODERATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote