Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Genre Gateway Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Ja that would be American folk. A lot of the folk music of various countries is annoyingly referred to as world music, but that's another convo.

American Folk

Freak folk
I'll give you a pass on this one, as I know you were giving me a comparison, but again, ONE video per post please, only. I'll listen to both of those, but just this once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
This thread is going to be interesting. I can feel it in my bones.

---

I'm not extremely knowledgable about pure electronic music as such, but I'm fairly confident that my choice passes as being real electronic music and not just electro pop.

Holly Herndon - Chorus
From the album "Platform".

---

Most of the mentioned genres aren't really any where I have much to add, so I guess I'll just chime in on folk and let that be it for now.

Joni Mitchell - Tin Angel
From the album "Clouds".

This is just 60's folk/singer-songwriter material. Not anything you've never heard, but I'm going to dare insisting that this song is flat out amazing.

---

Ok just maybe one more. I'm not sure where you are in relation to melodic death metal*, but this is far from typical for the genre in any case. In fact, I'm not even sure to what extent it can be considered melodic death metal (aka "melodeath").

The Agonist - The Hunt
From the album "Five".

*If I consider this a gateway to something, it's to the rather large segment of the metal genre occupied by bands that make catchy music that doesn't easily fit a particular mold. There's so much more to hear than just the most typical representatives of the biggest sub-genres. Btw, this band kind of sucked until they got their new singer. This means that anything before the two newest albums isn't really worth a lot, but damn are those two albums with Vicky good.
I won't however give you a pass. ONE VIDEO PER POST. No more exceptions. I'll do these but after this follow the rule please, or I'll just be ignoring your suggestions. I can only do one at a time and I don't want everyone posting a fistful of videos every post or I'll get way too backed up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank. View Post
Can I do one where I'm not trying to get you into a genre? I just love the song and more people need to know of its glorious existence.
Sure, why not?