Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Genre Gateway Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #190 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Fine but that makes you a bad music enthusiast. Say hi to your peers elph and Chula.
Yeah yeah, whatever. I see right through you, pal. You don't actually want me to get into Beefheart, you want to be the one to get me into him so you can sit back smugly and say "Told you so". I'm on to you. Tell me, if I told you that if you listened, constantly, to Marillion's discography that you would finally "get" them, would you believe me? Thing is, I wouldn't do that, because I've accepted you have no interest in hearing, appreciating or exploring Marillion's music, whereas you don't seem to be able to get it through your head that I'm not interested in your pal. You're hardly an unbiased source, you know. Let me be very clear: the chances of me ever listening, of choice, to a Beefheart album are about as likely as my winning the Miss Teenage America pageant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Fine. I don't expect anyone but loser juggalos and random weirdos like me to get anything from ICP beyond a surface level, but it's always fun looking for people who don't know they're ICP fans who just don't know it yet. If you're looking for anything non-gimmicky about them lyric-wise then you're in the wrong house, cause they're the gimmickiest **** ever and it's as great a weakness as it is a strength, so if that's a deal breaker then the deal is beyond broken. But hey you listen to power metal so I figured you just might not care about goofy lyrics.

But to be honest ICP's shallow musical merits are easy to grasp on a surface level, but can be surprisingly hard to master due to their cringiness that makes them easy to dismiss, so I'm never ready to totally dismiss a possible fan.
If they had something else in their locker, I could overlook the rehashed, reused ideas, but they just seem to be so one-dimensional, so restricted, and I look for more than that in my music. Hey, at least I didn't hate every song...