Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #1349 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Did it for Love
Artist: Leela James
Genre: Funk/Soul
Nationality: American
Release date: March 31
Position in Discography: Sixth
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 3.52
Got a very strong voice here, but not one of those who shouts or roars, one of my bugbears: you have to have a good voice to begin with, you won't improve it by grunting, moaning and screaming if there's nothing there to work with. There's quite obviously something here. Good opener and “Don't Want You Back” could be destined to become a modern soul classic, though I could do without the interlude “Real Talk – Relationships”, which is basically twenty-eight seconds of, well, talk. “I Remember” soon makes you forget(!) this small blip though, and I can already see my initial rating will be increased by several points by the time I get through listening to this. “There 4 U” though, is pretty generic and boring, however it's followed by the sublime “This Day is for You”, which more than makes up for another very slight dip in quality. “Take Me” is a smouldering, sultry blues seduction, “All Over Again” a lovely piano ballad, and the album finishes strongly.

Check out more from this artist? May do
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating: