Music Banter - View Single Post - 25+ Favorite Albums Of 2017 (by Anteater)
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

12. Mew - Visuals

Genre: Alternative Rock, Synth-pop

Sounds Like: Pet Shop Boys, early A-ha, The Pineapple Thief, Sigur Rós, M83

Denmark's favorite alternative rock export have always been a fascinating group to follow since they first made a big splash in the indie world with 2003's Frengers, an early highwater mark for people wondering what the best elements of Live, Radiohead and Johnny Hates Jazz might sound like if you sprinkled in some protein powder and set to Blend. From that point onward, Mew's trajectory has seen them bounce back and forth across the wide spectrum of their sound between abject weirdness and a soaring, Eurovision-tinted sense of melodicism.

Fourteen years later however, I think they've finally done a record that hits that balance they've always strived for with Visuals, a record that fundamentally sees them embracing their 80's synth pop roots moreso than on anything they've done up until this point. Their overt experimental tendencies (the calling card of founding guitarist Bo Madsen, who left the band before this album's recording) are mostly smoothed out here in favor of flexing their considerable hookcrafting muscles. Hell, we even get some synthwave elements of all things on '85 Videos', which is as a good a single as they've ever done in their 20+ years together. Fans will be torn over the more radio friendly direction: is this a simplification compared to previous ambitions or a needed refinement? Probably a bit of both, but even a proghead like me can appreciate a touch of levity. Plus there's a friggin free jazz sax solo at the end of 'Carry Me To Safety', so you can't be mad for long at the shift in direction.

European to a T and a fairly breezy listening experience overall, this was a pleasant surprise this year and a reminder of just how good this particular aesthetic can be when executed with flair and a sense of fun attached.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 12-21-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote