Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds from Innerspace
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #581 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Thanks for thinking of me, Batty. I hung up the old top hat and all my disco/Victorian attire last fall and have settled into a more comfortable array of vintage sports jackets, vests, and wingtips. The costuming just didn't feel authentic anymore.

A quick update while I'm waiting for the next few LPs to press and ship - after shedding my vinyl collector fetishism I needed something else to occupy my time so I've decided to explore music making for the first time since the late 90s. I was a singer-songwriter back then but presently I'm interested in composing atmospheric drone soundscapes. I built a Linux DAW system and am familiarizing myself with Ardour and the available FOSS VSTs and soundfonts. I'd like to keep this project open source if possible.

I'm considering investing in a MIDI keyboard, (specifically the M-Audio Oxygen 49 MKIV), to facilitate composition but am not entirely sure it will be necessary for freeform drone so I've reached out to a few professional peers in the field to see what they think.

It's not an easy road - Linux DAWs are notorious for breaking down and VST functionality is a gamble at best, but I enjoy a challenge. The best part is that this can be a hobby with no deadline or expectation of productivity. I can go at my own pace and regardless of the outcome, I think the journey is the key.

If any of the forum's members have experience with drone composition in a FOSS environment, definitely drop me a line.

Cheers, everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote