Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #1352 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Brand New Day
Artist: The Mavericks
Genre: Bluegrass/Tex-Mex/Americana
Nationality: American
Release date: March 31
Position in Discography: Ninth
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 2.87
This does sound, when it begins, as if it belongs in the forties or fifties, like the soundtrack to some western movie, or the band who would be playing in the saloon in said movie before the big fight breaks out. Pleasant, happy, uptempo and breezy, with some nice fiddle playin'. But I'd have to say, this is probably fine if you're doing a Mexican theme night or are into western movies, but otherwise it's just way too old for even me. The ballad “Goodnight Waltz” just managed to keep my hand from the eject button, but it's still hovering over it ... “Damned (If You Do)” keeps it away though, and though the album kind of descends back into the yee-hawness of the first few tracks, I do think it improves a little and I can bear it more. That said, this isn't music I'd be into at all, unless maybe I was very drunk and didn't care.

Check out more from this artist? Nah
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Probably not; maybe there are better exponents of it though? Won't write it off quite yet.

Actual Rating: