Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Let My Children Hear Music" by Charles Mingus
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Having only had time to listen to this once, the best I can say is that it didn't bore me like other jazz albums have, and I didn't feel any need to bang my head against the wall in frustration and annoyance. The classical elements certainly added to the overall feel of the album, nothing was too harsh or in your face, but like some others I wasn't that impressed with the spoken word on the penultimate track, and the last one was a little too long and I lost interest to the point where it had moved on to the next Mingus album on Spotify and I hadn't noticed.

Not being a jazz aficionado, I can't speak to the album's importance or acclaim within the genre, and I've never heard Mingus before (though I have heard of him) but like Kind of Blue, for me, this was at least a relatively enjoyable experience, though I doubt I would go back to it again, but then, you could say that about nearly any jazz album in my case. I'd consider this a win, though others may see it as my being a pussy. So be it.

7/10