Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #1373 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Youth
Artist: Tinie Tempah
Genre: Hip-hop
Nationality: English (thanks to Mindfulness for the erratum correction)
Release date: March 31
Position in Discography: Third
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No but I've heard the name
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 2.35
For some reason I always assumed Tinie Tempah to be a female rapper, don't ask me why. I like the way the first two tracks segue perfectly, second one reminds me very much of Seal's work, initially, then it kicks into a real uptempo boppy tune. Some nice rhythms on this album, Latin on “Mamacita”, House on “Girls Like”, kind of electronica for “They Don't Know” and “Sometimes”. Varied, certainly. “Text From Your Ex” is, to me, a little pointless, as while it's supposed to be “featuring” Tinashe, it's pretty much her song; she's front and centre most of the time on it so what's the point there? Not even a particularly good song in my opinion. “Cameras” makes up for it bigstyle though, and “Holy Moly” is a hard-hitting trapfest.

Kind of a soul feel to “So Close”, Jake Bugg features on “Find Me”, which changes so radically near the end that I naturally assumed it was the next track; don't really see the reason for it but I suppose he had one. I think I'd have to say this is a decent hip-hop album; not a bad one by any means, but pretty far from a great one. Not that I'd know, of course.

Check out more from this artist? Nah
Check out more from this genre or subgenre?Aye

Actual Rating:

Last edited by Trollheart; 12-26-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote