Music Banter - View Single Post - The Year In These Ears: Trollheart's Favourite Albums of 2017/2018
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default The Year In These Ears: Trollheart's Favourite Albums of 2017/2018

A perhaps natural spawn of my Albums of 2017 thread, this one will concentrate on the albums that have impressed me most as I trudge through 2017, and will allow me to go into deeper detail about some of the albums I've liked. Were this thread to have been begun last year, you would have been able to easily predict the type of albums you'd see here, or at least the genres. It would be very limited to most of you. Thankfully however – for both me and you – scouring through every album on Wiki's list for 2017 has opened my eyes to albums, genres and artists to whom I would previously have refused to give the time of day, so expect everything from hip-hop and punk to jazz and blackgaze.

As I'm currently only a quarter of the way through the year as I begin this thread, there is no possible way I can rank these albums, nor do I intend to. To most intents and purposes, it is kind of an AOTY list, but not really: I could post an album I'd rave about and believe the very best I've heard this year and two months later find something even better. So I won't be doing a top twenty, fifty or even hundred, and these albums will be in no order, but I will be picking the ones I found impressed me the most, particularly perhaps concentrating on ones I had not expected to like, or did not even know of.

Those albums don't of course have to have been on Wiki's list – some of you have suggested incredible albums that weren't, and really blew me away – but I imagine the vast bulk of them will be, as that is, at the moment, primarily my source for new material. As I'm beginning this thread as the year ends, I will have no problem including albums I like that are released in 2018.
Reviews will be, as I say, longer and more involved than they have been in my other thread, as I will be updating this much less frequently than the album thread, and I will already have heard these albums, if only once, so will know what to expect and therefore what to say, or what to add or expand upon. You may have seen these albums being reviewed in short-form format already in my main thread, or it's even quite possible you may have missed them, as due to time constraints and the amount of albums, I tend to post anything up to seven or eight a day, and some are bound to pass you by. I'll be using mostly the same format as the album thread, with perhaps a few tweaks here and there.

Up next:

Last edited by Trollheart; 12-28-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote