Music Banter - View Single Post - You Know What Grinds My Gears?
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 06:02 AM   #680 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
We even use bro in German. I do cringe a bit every time, but use it myself.
^ Ah yes! That under-examined phenomenon, the ability to be self-cringing, is one of the characteristics that distinguishes the human species from other animals.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

...and, although I wouldn't put it so bluntly, I think Luccem has a point. Words like "honey" from an old guy to a young girl may be unthinkingly patronising, but they are said with good intention aren't they? Their message is, "Let's be friendly instead of formal" which is a well-intended gesture, especially given that the specific circumstance Batlord is talking about is "customer to service employee." The convention, which is probably enshrined in the employer's rule book, is that the employee must show deference to the customer, so when the customer says, "honey" isn't he saying, "Let's forget that old-fashioned subservience stuff and adopt a friendlier style" ?

@ Batlord: May I suggest that you see past the irritating words like "honey" and give credit to the friendly intention behind them. Then you'd be able to move on and entertain us all by ranting about something more worthy of your undoubted powers of invective.

Last edited by Lisnaholic; 12-31-2017 at 06:29 AM.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote