Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "SLK" by Stam1na
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 06:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
Stam1na- SLK (2014)

Best Tracks: Rautasorkka, Heikko Ehka, Kolmen Minuuten Hiljaisuus ( I hope I’m spelling these right)

Weakest Tracks: Dynamo, Usko Pois

First of all, you have to tell me what language this is in. Fortunately, I’m not who studies the lyrics much when I’m doing a review.

You surprise me here, Mic. You didn’t strike me as much of a metal person. I’m not really a metal person either, but like you it seems, a few metal albums may sneak in for me once in a while. And I can see why you went with this one. It kind of has a eighties vibe, kind of like Iron Maiden for want of a comparison.

I like this album. It drives like a turbo engine. I did my usual best and weakest tracks but the truth is, this album is remarkably consistent. Usko Pois is really not that much of a step down from Rautasorkka for example. Kolmen is a nice instrumental and maybe my favorite track on the album. The title track starts off a bit choppy but I love the dramatic ending. I think you chose well here, Mic.

It might have been better in English, but no matter. I’m checking Love It and giving you an eight. It’s a big jump from the last review I gave you.

8/10 (the Word has spoken )

PS- I just discovered that they won an award in Finland, so I can assume these guys are Finnish?
Yes, Stam1na is a Finnish band and they sing in Finnish, except for 1 English language song one the album Nocebo. Personally, I tend to prefer artists singing in their native tongue. I'm so used to all sorts of foreign languages by now that I simply enjoy the color and personality it brings to music when everyone doesn't sing in English.

I can tell you that my leaning towards singer-songwriter and folk music is a pretty recent development. Go back 10 years and I was a total metalhead. I still enjoy quite a few metal bands, but I tend to lean towards the more creative, less genre bound metal bands these days.

I think what I've discovered, is that I'm not as much a fan of any specific genre as I'm into music that makes me feel alive or speaks to me on some emotional plane that is hard to pin down. Gone are the days where I first and foremost spent my energy trying to find good metal.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote