Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 09:21 AM   #1452 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Bulletproof
Artist: Young Dolph
Genre: Hip-hop/Trap
Nationality: American
Release date: April 1
Position in Discography: Second
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 2.70
First up for April then is this, the second effort from American rapper Young Dolph, and all I can say is that at least it's not K-pop! Pretty decent start to be fair, like the dark atmosphere woven by the music and his rapping is good. Clever too: I see if you read the track list downwards, he's “done a [MERIT]”, ie the track titles form a sentence about what happened to him, apparently. I can kind of see the story running through the songs, though while it's okay I'm not totally blown away (no pun intended) – first song to really stand out is “That's How I Feel”; great rhythm to it and I love the melody and the rhyme of the lyric too. I'll definitely give YD (no, not YorkeDaddy! ) points for resisting the urge most rappers seem to have, to throw fifteen, twenty or more tracks on their album. There are only ten here, which is grand, as anything over sixteen/seventeen can often be a real slog for me, especially if there's a lot of filler. Kudos to him for not annoying me or stretching my patience.

“All Of Them” is another good song, but I will say that one thing I'm not that happy about is the way Young Dolph sings (all right, all right: raps then!): there's a kind of sulky, morose way he has of rapping that gives you the impression of an angsty teenager, and he's over thirty years old. I'd prefer a bit more animation, personality, maybe even anger rather than sullenness, but he is a good rapper, from the tiny bit that I know of it. Backing music is good, sparse at times, but kind of when it needs to be, and then laying down a nice backdrop when it's required, as in the piano that underpins “I'm Everything You Wanna Be”, and then there's the closer, which has no music at all but still rocks like ****. As I'm reliably informed the kids say these days, dope.

Check out more from this artist? Yeah
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating: