Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 08:52 PM   #14573 (permalink)
Maajo
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
What do those words mean in music?

Conventions and breaking of conventions can both be amazing or atrocious depending on the context. I don't think it's appropriate to put that kind of limitation on ideas.
I don't mean right or wrong in the religious, word of god sort of way. I mean sometimes music that's unconventional is great and sometimes it isn't. The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band is an example of unconventional music that I think is really boring, whereas something like "Free Form Guitar" bt Chicago or Lou Reed's MMM are examples where it works. There's conventional music that works great (The Beatles) or not so great (Air Supply) too. I'm aware.

Quote:
That's fair. I find it pretty captivating though, it really tells a story like a lot of Abe's music does.

But back to what I was saying about harmonicas: defo can be cool as **** (Abe was my example of that ) but the instrument's design restricts its potential.
I like instrumentals that feel like they tell a story. My favorite example of that is Maggot Brain when George supposedly told Eddie to play as if he was told his mother had died and then later learned she was actually still alive. You can feel that emotion in the song.

I agree, every instrument has a design limitation, but that's good because then we have excuses to keep making new ones.
Maajo is offline   Reply With Quote