Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #14582 (permalink)
Lucem Ferre
Cuter Than Post Malone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine View Post
Idk if this is an unpopular opinion, but lo-fi indie might just be the most limp wristed annoying genre on the planet. It's a genre full of low talented freakshows who have high ambitions to be these bug rockstars, but are just too damn cool to make anything remotely coherent. Because having conviction in your work is just not ****ing cool anymore, and leaving everything unfinished is. People wonder why rock music is dying and rap is taking over as the cultural zeitgeist, but when the only people doing anything interesting and not just rehashing the tropes that were popular 30 years ago are mucking about making rough demo quality music, just too cool to show any sense of masculinity in their music. Gee I wonder why angry teens don't want to listen to your limp wristed bull**** and instead listen to angry ass unapologetically masculine rap music. Really makes you ****ing think. There are two ways to get rock out of the hole it has dug itself into and that's 1) go the route of jazz and become actual art music, or 2) grow some ****ing balls.
Yes. Nothing inherently wrong with lofi if used right but I agree, I go against the grain on these pretensions 'that's over produced' or 'putting effort into art makes it disingenuous' corn balls.

But to be fair a lot of huge rappers that are blowing up right now do go for a lofi aesthetic and I do enjoy some of them when it's done well. Definitely prefer a much more well polished project though. Seems more heart gets put into things you throw your passion into rather than these half assed after thoughts people make in the moment most of the time.

Edit: Didn't realize this was so far back.
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote