Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 09:09 AM   #1460 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Story Songs
Artist: Betty Buckley
Genre: Dunno: showtunescore?
Nationality: American
Release date: April 7
Position in Discography: Eighteenth
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: N/A
Oh, just what I need: showtunes! Apparently Buckley is a well-known actress in the US, and has starred in shows such as Eight is Enough and Oz, as well as guesting in many more. This is all well and good, and I'm sure she's a fine actress, but do I want to hear her sing? More to the point, do I want to listen to a double album of her singing? There's a beautiful piano intro, it has to be said, to the opening track, but when she starts to sing I find she has that annoyingly aggressive sound a lot of stage performers have (I guess because they often have to act while singing, or project their voice towards the back row so everyone can hear, who knows) and it grates on me. Sadly, this also seems to be another live album which is just basically a studio album with some polite clapping edited on, or so it sounds. Her voice is better used in the next track, Radiohead's “High and Dry”.

Generally, this is pretty much like what I assume listening to a Barbra Streisand album is like. I mean, there's nothing wrong with the music but it's not my thing, and I'll be damned if I'm a-gonna listen to a whole double album of this. It doesn't help that most of the songs break the six-minute barrier. Nah, I've had enough now.

Check out more from this artist? No
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? No, unless I have to

(Sorry: it's the only video I can find. Who's going to click it, anyway, if we're being honest here?)