Music Banter - View Single Post - Exo's Top 50 Albums of 2017 Extravaganza
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 05:11 PM   #58 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits

Elder
Reflections of a Floating World

Ahh, sludge.

Sludge is something that really needs to do something either VERY special to wow me or just be incredibly tight and consistent throughout an entire album.

This isn't special. It is just REALLY REALLY tight and consistent throughout the entire hour long length. It felt like a breeze. Lots of really great guitar work on this record. The end of the opening track, Sanctuary, ends with some of the coolest feeling guitar riffs on almost any record this year. They just rip through you. The vocals on this don't get overbearing. I usually dislike sludge and stoner metal vocals but these fit really well.

You're also getting a lot of heavy metal vibes on this. The track Blind almost sounds like a Black Sabbath deep cut. Ends really dirty and I love it.

There will be a number of rock albums to grace this list but I really do think this is probably the smoothest and tightest of them all. They just keep the pace for the entirety of the album and it's something that really impressed me. Perhaps it'd be a lot higher if I was more into stoner rock, but I'm not, so it isn't.

SUPREME POO BAH MODERATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote